Friday, March 30, 2012

Other activities engaged in same day I arrived were the USAID 101 presentation by Kathryn L. Hoeflich the BLC Regional Grants Manager and the Cake-cutting send forth of Sylvia.
After work, a stroll through Hatfield restaurants led me to the Barcelos where I found food indeed – that I could eat; although it would have been more adventurous to locate a traditional spot for locally made SA foods.


Real Official Demands

This is my second day in SA. On arrival at the office, I took time to work on the reviewed scope of work discussed by Zuzelle earlier which I shared virtually to the team. The next thing was to work on my PowerPoint presentation of key activities of the CUBS project in Nigeria but this was overtaken by events of drafting the literature review. I and Mathabo – the M&E officer of the OVC project in Lesotho visiting Pretoria was also at the City lodge, this gave us time to walk around Hatfield mall during lunch and from the hotel discussing and exchanging knowledge on our various projects. Later that evening I spotted an Ethiopian restaurant where I was able to get spaghetti, interesting!!



Project Exchange learning

Today I had to check out from the hotel as I was to move into the MSH guest house. It was an interesting time at the office. Continued my work on the literature review, downloaded the endnote software for organizing a library of references/bibliographies for reviews and meeting with the BLC team again. A meeting between Zuzelle, Roselyn, Jabulani, Mathabo and I as we discussed deeper into OVC programming and monitoring as well as the migration corridor project. At the end of the day we had come to understand more about each of the country’s project in the exchange talk – talk about Iron sharpening Iron….

Finally, Charles the MSH logistician dropped me off at the MSH guest house, wow!! It was so serene and more than I expected. Lots of flowers around the compound, an epical look, a balcony where one can step out and see the sunset and night lights, a mini kitchen, groceries for breakfast, a bedroom with lots of wardrobe compartments and a sitting room with TV and DSTV connection.  Hmmm… sounds nice. We were worried that I would be lonely but it was just ideal and peaceful, situated in an area called Waterkloof a few miles away from Hatfield – I was hoping I could find a church around though. I heard an unreliable gossip that lots of South Africans are Christians but they barely attend church (subject to verification), they do believe in Christ though, sounded weird because I felt people usually visit the homes of people they love, if they do love Christ why not His house? Well, bottom line is serving God in a unique way, different strokes for different folks I guess. But I did verify the information and found out it was not exactly true. I put up a light dinner, watched movies, updated my blog post and off I was to bed.





Views from MSH Guest House, Waterkloof, SA

No comments:

Post a Comment